What are Postbiotics?
Postbiotics over 100 years in Japan
In Japan, postbiotics have been available for over 100 years**, and Professor Tomotari Mitsuoka*** pioneered in Japan in 1998 to only scientifically develop and study its health effects. (referred in Japan as Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB, aka Probiotics) Metabolites or Lactobacillus Fermented Extracts)
"Naive" question, profound implication
Researchers and biologists over the years have been trying to answer a seemingly"naive"question: why do probiotics have health effects given that probiotics itself just living microbes and NOT nutrients?
The path towards microbiome-based metabolite treatment. Nature Microbiology 2, 17075 (2017)
Postbioitics: improving absorption disorder for overall health
The recent studies suggest^ that Postbiotics effectively to suppress "bad" bacteria, promote native "good" bacteria growth for restoring gut flora balance and improving absorption disorders, which otherwise induces various diseases including GI disorders (heartburn, nausea), obesity, constipation, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and immune disorders.
- *Role of Postbiotics in Diabetes Mellitus: Current Knowledge and Future Perspectives. Department of Health Science, Public University of Navarre, 31008 Pamplona, Spain. Foods 2021, 10, 1590.
- **The International Scientific Association of Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP) consensus statement on the definition and scope of postbiotics. Gastroenterology & Hepatology Vol. 18 Sep 2021
- *** Mitsuoka, T. Intestinal Flora and Probiotics (Gakkai Shuppan Center, 1998)
- ^Postbiotics and their applications in early life nutrition and beyond. Int J Mol Sci. 2019; 20(19):4673
- ****The path towards microbiome-based metabolite treatment. Nature Microbiology 2, 17075 (2017)